Advertisements were mainly used for informing and educating the customers regarding the availability of certain products and services. It also obliquely intends to promote the use and sales of the products in question. While the primary aim of education is to educate and inform, it has, in effect, also tended to act as sales promotional strategy for added sales.
Advertisements should serve certain norms, which need to be adhered to in the long run.
• They should be used for reinforcing market strategies and act as a backup for sales staff.
• They should bring out the salient features of products without untruths or misrepresentation, which is publicly unlawful and against public interests.
• It should not be obscene or in bad public taste and needs to uplift the moral standards of the community.
• It should be in conformity with various strictures, Govt. or otherwise, and aimed at public interests upliftment and in public policies.
• Internet ads need to conform to the rules governing internet operations.
• A mere disclaimer does not absolve the perpetrator of cybercrimes and their consequences.
• Internet ads need to ensure high standards of privacy and integrity levels.
• Ads need to specify whether it is for adult viewing or for children. In case it is for children, it is necessary to say so, and for adult viewing, it is necessary to have proper certification.
• Since the main area of ads is through revenue, through subscription, it needs to ensure that all care is taken.
• It is an acceptable and worthy medium and could be positively used for popularising products and services within the scope mentioned.
• Since the usage of the internet is growing exponentially. It is seen that more and more ad mileage is achieved through greater use of services.
Over the years, advertisements have experienced several vicissitudes. However, it has remained steadfast to its main purpose of enlightening the customers. It has also been successful in changing the psychology of the viewers into accepting products, sometimes on the sole strengths of advertising power alone. Celebrity endorsements are also seen to be well used in TV and channel TV shows forms of advertisements and create desires in human minds to emulate celebrities by using their endorsed products.
Another factor that is seen is with regard to advertisements being the hallmark of quality of products and widely used to inform the clients about the excellent quality and performance of products. Often potential customers are bewildered by the wide array of advertisements of competitive products such that they are confused as to which brand to buy and which to ignore. Moreover, it is also seen that even low-quality products may be in a position to advertise, sometimes with exaggerated accounts of their products and their attributes. This could be true and, in certain cases, may be wrongly premised. Creating a misrepresentation in the minds of the customers regarding the utility and performance of the people. It is necessary that ads be thoroughly honest and guileless, even at the cost of losing customers, rather than try to boost sales by resorting to subterfuge.
Next, it is seen regarding the aspect of branding. In real terms, branding means a unique way of establishing proprietorship over products. A certain customer may have unique and unparalleled rights over certain products made by him, and he would like to have the making and distributing rights exclusively for himself. Branding ensures that the maker has full control and jurisdiction over the branded product, and he would be protected from imitators or passing off his products. Another aspect about branding is that while ownership might change, branding does not change and, despite a plethora of products invading the market, it is quite possible for a maker to know and distinguish his own product from many others. This would not have been possible without branding since now branding has given an aura of exclusivity and possession into products.” A strong brand is invaluable as the battle for customers intensifies day by day. It is important to spend time investing in researching, defining, and building your brand.”