Describe how you could use hypothesis testing to help make a decision in your current job, a past job, or a life situation. Include a description of the decision, what would be the null and alternative hypotheses, and how data could ideally be collected to test the hypotheses.

A

When I waited tables a few years ago, I was often curious about the average number of restaurant visitors depending on the day of the week. The information was of value to me because I wanted to know what to expect from a shift, and some of them were really intense. So, from my observations, I figured that the distribution of customer flow was supposed to be the following: 30%, 50%, and 20% on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, respectively. Thus, my null hypothesis would be as follows: “Regardless of the total number of visitors, over the course of Friday and the weekend, 30% of them come on Friday, 50% – on Saturday, and 20% – on Monday.” An alternative hypothesis would be that I was routinely wrong in my observations, and in actuality, the restaurant welcomed the same number of customers every day that I worked there. Data collection and analysis would go as follows:

  1. Calculate the number of customers visiting the restaurant each day manually or by using the data obtained by the cashier;
  2. Find the sum of all the visitors over the course of three days;
  3. Calculate expected values according to my model (30%/ 50%/ 20%);
  4. Contrast this set to the real set of values (probably using Student’s t-test).
Answer by Academic.tip's expert
An answer to this question is provided by one of our experts who specializes in mathematics. Let us know how much you liked it and give it a rating.

Cite this page

Select a citation style:

References

Academic.Tips. (2021) 'Describe how you could use hypothesis testing to help make a decision in your current job, a past job, or a life situation. Include a description of the decision, what would be the null and alternative hypotheses, and how data could ideally be collected to test the hypotheses'. 9 July.

Reference

Academic.Tips. (2021, July 9). Describe how you could use hypothesis testing to help make a decision in your current job, a past job, or a life situation. Include a description of the decision, what would be the null and alternative hypotheses, and how data could ideally be collected to test the hypotheses. Retrieved from https://academic.tips/question/describe-how-you-could-use-hypothesis-testing-to-help-make-a-decision-in-your-current-job-a-past-job-or-a-life-situation-include-a-description-of-the-decision-what-would-be-the-null-and-alternativ/

References

Academic.Tips. 2021. "Describe how you could use hypothesis testing to help make a decision in your current job, a past job, or a life situation. Include a description of the decision, what would be the null and alternative hypotheses, and how data could ideally be collected to test the hypotheses." July 9, 2021. https://academic.tips/question/describe-how-you-could-use-hypothesis-testing-to-help-make-a-decision-in-your-current-job-a-past-job-or-a-life-situation-include-a-description-of-the-decision-what-would-be-the-null-and-alternativ/.

1. Academic.Tips. "Describe how you could use hypothesis testing to help make a decision in your current job, a past job, or a life situation. Include a description of the decision, what would be the null and alternative hypotheses, and how data could ideally be collected to test the hypotheses." July 9, 2021. https://academic.tips/question/describe-how-you-could-use-hypothesis-testing-to-help-make-a-decision-in-your-current-job-a-past-job-or-a-life-situation-include-a-description-of-the-decision-what-would-be-the-null-and-alternativ/.


Bibliography


Academic.Tips. "Describe how you could use hypothesis testing to help make a decision in your current job, a past job, or a life situation. Include a description of the decision, what would be the null and alternative hypotheses, and how data could ideally be collected to test the hypotheses." July 9, 2021. https://academic.tips/question/describe-how-you-could-use-hypothesis-testing-to-help-make-a-decision-in-your-current-job-a-past-job-or-a-life-situation-include-a-description-of-the-decision-what-would-be-the-null-and-alternativ/.

Work Cited

"Describe how you could use hypothesis testing to help make a decision in your current job, a past job, or a life situation. Include a description of the decision, what would be the null and alternative hypotheses, and how data could ideally be collected to test the hypotheses." Academic.Tips, 9 July 2021, academic.tips/question/describe-how-you-could-use-hypothesis-testing-to-help-make-a-decision-in-your-current-job-a-past-job-or-a-life-situation-include-a-description-of-the-decision-what-would-be-the-null-and-alternativ/.

Copy